Assam Govt. has announced a PRANAM Commission to look after the issues related to the Parents Responsibility and Norms for Accountability and Monitoring (PRANAM) Bill.
- The bill makes it mandatory for state government employees to look after their parents and unmarried differently abled siblings who do not have their own sources of income.
- The bill proposes that if any complaints related to ignorance towards parents or unmarried differently abled siblings, then 10 or 15 per cent of the employee’s salary will be deducted by the government and paid to the parents or differently abled siblings.
- The government has said that it aims to cover the Employees of private companies and the central government working in the state at a later stage.
- The PRANAM Bill is an effort from the state government to protect elderly parents and unmarried differently abled siblings and give them financial security.
- The bill is first of its kind in the country is an effort to protect elderly parents of government employees and unmarried differently abled siblings in their times of need.